Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Big Time Adventure

We (as in My Girls and I) got to go somewhere amazing last weekend.

I will give you a hint:
Did you guess it? Yes, my friends, that is the Conference Center, and those are the Value Flags unfurled for the General Young Women's Meeting. It was so awesome. We had such a ball. It was seriously such a blast and such a spiritual experience, as well. We got to see the prophet. Yes, it is true. We weren't even so very far away from him, and we're slightly convinced he waved in our general direction. As leaders, we have percolated this event for about... two years. But by happy chance and really, a lot of luck or divine providence, we got to go this year, even though we submitted for tickets late and everything. It was worth the zero sleep and the effort (which seemed very minimal) to be with our girls and have this experience. On the way up, we stopped for dinner at Reed's in central Utah, in the tiny town that I grew up in. You know the show Diners, Drive-In's and Dives? Well, Reed's is a dive, but it has the most delicious fried food, soda-pop and hard ice cream imaginable. The girls loved it and so did I. It was actually really special for me to share that almost sacred part of my childhood with them. Really. I value Reed's. On a deep level. And it was a blast to see my girls love it so much.
We stayed up in Salt Lake with my F.C. Mary Dawn. She only lives about ten miles from Temple Square and has a fabulous basement my girls could all roll out their sleeping bags on. And she also has a very gracious heart, because there were a lot of us, she has small children, and we were not quiet (though we gave it our most gallant effort). The picture above is of D-Dawn (isn't she beauteous?) watching the young women perform a thank-you-rap for her. That's right. We express our love and appreciation through white-girl-rap around here. I hope you do not have a problem with that. It was so fun to introduce someone I love so very much to a whole group of people so close to my heart. Thanks, F.C. I think there can be no doubt that you are pretty much the best.
Here we are, walking up the street. Notice the Y.W. value flags on the street. And all around the Temple Square block there were giant flags hanging everywhere with the value colors. It really made me happy. As the bishop's wife said "Look, Heavenly Father loves His daughters, and He wants the whole world to know it." I'll admit, I teared up when she said that. So. True. But then, she is very wise.
Here we have Melanie, Sherine, and McKenna in one of the visitor's centers. They are standing in front of one of my favorite quotes from Spencer W. Kimball: "God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other."

Here is a very adorable story about Sherine, who is a deeply adorable person. We were in a section where there were huge pictures of people helping each other with voice overs. There were two pictures in a row of older gentlemen, and Sherine turned to me with big tears in her eyes and whispered rather passionately "I love old men! If I were to ever kidnap someone, it would probably be an old man."

I have been smiling about that one ever since.

Here's a rather majestic view of the temple (I'm practically a professional, I think we can all admit that now):

And some of my girls on the balcony of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. We watched the movie 'Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration' on the giant screen while there. It was as moving as ever. I still don't like the camera pan into the clouds at the end, though. But that's a movie-goer-who-struggles-not-to-critique discussion for another day. It does a great job of showing many of the struggles our latter-day prophet endured for our sakes. We could all feel the spirit.
And here we are in the Conference Center! See those cute girls turned toward the camera? Those are some of mine. We were pretty darn close, huh! Closest I've ever been, that is for darn sure. It was an amazing meeting. My girls had a lot of awesome things to say about it on the way home, and it was so worth it.
Sabrina, Emily and yours truly. Two of my favorite people.
And look, it's Elder Anderson and Sister Dalton! Right there! Right there!
It was rad.

Totally, totally radical.

My councilor Jodi and I had a great time talking and laughing together since we were in the same car and also roommates, and I learned many fascinating new things about my car mates, including what finger they would give up if forced, what person they would be in history, and which one of the Young Men they would go on a date with, if forced. Traveling together is always so fun, don't you think?

We went to bed about 3:30 the first night and got home about 1:30 the second night. And were all there bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for Sacrament Meeting at 9! Everyone who'd been on the trip was a magnificent whiter-shade-of-pale, but it was worth it in every way. Such a blast.


And now you know what I did with my weekend. How was yours?

2 comments:

Ducksoup said...

you didn't go to bed until 3:30? holy cow. you are crazy. i am glad you made it home safely. 1:30 AM is pretty late, yah know. i don't think i even told your girls thanks for the rap. i was too worried about having no makeup on and getting a picture. so i'm sorry. please tell the girls i loved it and think they were adorable. i know i was not nearly as awesome as they were when i was a young women. i love the pic of the y.w. flags. pretty stinkin' sweet. so glad you had a great time!

Elise said...

You are good at your calling. I can tell. I want my daughters to have a YW president exactly like you. What a neat experience for your girls--and you.

I LOVE that Spencer w. Kimball quote. Do you mind if I steal it for my blog? No? You're so gracious. :)

I went to Costco yesterday. Every time I go there I hope I'll run into you. Why weren't you at Costco yesterday? Hmm?