Monday, June 20, 2011

Ye Ole Girls Camp Report

And we're back!
Girls camp was marvelous this year. Our beloved camp leaders deserve a large, honorous medal of recognition that is like Double-D sized that they can wear on their shirts. Because it was simply wonderful. I had a marvelous, marvelous time. The girls had a marvelous, marvelous time (and yes, I can speak for them. I am self-appointed).
Sigh.
So many memories. So much exhaustion that is still processing through my body, and I am very positive is being processed through the bodies of anyone who was up there and is 18 or older. So fun.
For real.
I now present to you the 2011 Girls Camp Report:

1. There was braiding. Lots of lots of braiding.
And when I say braiding, I mean braiding. I think every hair follicle on my head has been ventilated. Most of this was delightful, as I love to be petted. But some of it was a little -- gulp -- painful. But that is alright! All for a good cause. I think every one of us went through about fifty thousand hairstyles done by fifty thousand hairstylists. Here's Jessika. She's got a very gentle touch and made me look more Scandinavian then ever before! So fun!

2. There was much giggling, laughing, and singing. Here we have a lovely rendition of "Father Abraham." There was also "Mormon boy," "Princess Pat," the one about don't smoke cigars/eat Hershey bars, "Boom-Chicka-Boom," and my personal favorite, "A Jelly-Fish."

3. There was hiking, of course. But Sista Yates took the fall for me and led the five-mile hike. So I got some time with my beloved set of sisters, Lauren and Emily. We laughed. Lauren was a YCL this year so she was with the Stake, but Em came as a Leader. We giggled.

4. Then there were all the Nerts competitions. I don't want to brag, but Kayla and I totally kicked butt (here she is. I could adopt her for my own -- I really could). But then, Cammie and I kicked butt, too. Also, Kenna and I kicked butt as well.

I must be a very valuable player. Not to brag or anything.

Two teams were preparing to take on Me and T-Bomb, our fearless camp leader. I hope they have prepared well, because that will take place on Tuesday at the "Camp Rally." Watch it, girls!

5. We bonded. Here's me and the T-Bomb. SHE WAS AMAZING. If possible, I love her even more now. And who knew that was possible? The girls adore her.

We all grew closer together -- Leaders and Girls. Which, I think we can safely say, is a big part of the purpose of Girl's Camp.

6. Then there were the skits. We rapped to the story of Esther. And then there was the stake dance-off, where they called up three leaders. I won a major award at said dance-off. Which means, without a doubt, I am willing to make a complete and utter fool of myself for these girls. I think the tie-breaker was really Sherine's nerd glasses, which she so kindly let me borrow. I just love Sherine. I hope she knows how amazing she really is.

7. So many hilarious stake activities! Like the jousting competition. Here's Trina and Sister Parra battling to throw each other out of the circle. Sister Parra won. Sister Stewart totally threw me on my back out of the circle, but not before I got her to face plant. It was hilarious.

Then there was the potato-sack race, where my brother Jon pushed me over into the gravel. It was like reliving my childhood all over again. And yes, I have some awesome bruises up my side, thanks to that yay-hoo. I totally got him back going down the zip-line (which was hilariously fun, by the way) when he tried to hit me with a foam baseball bat but underestimated my wing-span, so instead he got clocked extremely hard in the chest with my foot.

Ah.

Satisfying.

There was also that moment where Jon and Brother Mangleson helped Sam, who has a hard time walking, win the potato sack race. They each took an arm and gently bounced her to the finish line. She was flying high! And when she got back, all the girls cheered like there was no tomorrow. I wish you could have seen the smile on her face.

It is forever imprinted on my heart.

And for the rest of the day, every time she saw those two men she'd smile her great big smile and exclaim "I love those guys!"
Moments like that make life totally worth living. Don't you think?


8. Have I mentioned the laughing part? Here's McKenna, Sister Sorge, Jon, and Sister Stewart busting up when Trina found out she'd been going around all day with an orange Power-Aid mustache. Hehehe.

We also created our own amusement park ride, which I have called the "Hammock Flip." The record for the girls is Kayla with 8 spins. Sista Yates holds the leader record with 3. Let's just say it was stomach-dropping. And that's all we need to say about that.

9. Beautiful music.

Here's Georgie, Jon, Sherine, Shyla, Stefanie and myself as we busted a move to "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." Thank heavens for t.v. reruns so these girls could know the glory that Jon and I grew up with!

All in all, it was the funnest Girl's Camp yet.

The spirit was tender and love flew around like hot cakes.

Testimony meeting was tender and very sweet, and lots of love was expressed.


Oh, and we read the Pearl of Great Price.

All told, I think it was a flying success.


I really, really love my girls.

6 comments:

Elise said...

What fun! You are obviously a great YW leader. Those girls are lucky to have you.

Cory Reese said...

Allow me to be the first to say - you have some serious Fresh Prince skillz!

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

I can't wait to hear all about it tonight!!!

Paulette said...

Love the nerd glasses! Classic! I'm a bit jealous that I didn't get to be there in the fun. But I'm SO glad you all had such a great time!:) Girl's Camp rocks!!

Tamari said...

LOVE Girls Camp!!! So happy to hear you had an amazing time! :) Oh, and Your hair is soooooo pretty, I love the braids.

katie said...

Looks like so much fun! I miss girls camp!