Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Weekend Extravaganza!

Last weekend my parents, my brothers and their families, and my household all ventured up to the central part of our state for a relaxing weekend at my Aunt and Uncle's cabin. Just to be together, you know. We left Friday morning and got home Sunday afternoon. And we had the most marvelous time! It was calm and peaceful and mucho fun to be together.
For instance, the teeter-totter, which is Katelyn's one great passion. Which is surprising, especially for such a little person. The older kids were so helpful to her and very patient while she screamed demands in their direction. I love this picture because you can see my nephew Porter hanging like a monkey in the background. He and I spent some quality time sitting on top of that thing together. I also love that my niece Adelah is apparently dead. I can't remember why she was dead -- I just know she was. I think things weren't going her way at this moment. And yes, I have a picture where I got her to look up and smile. I just kind of like this one better.

We had a picnic in the beautiful canyon my family and I used to venture up to often when we lived here. I'd told my kids about this bridge I used to play on that had to be flown up the canyon by a helicopter, and darned if that wasn't right where we were going! They loved it, naturally. It was beautiful and perty dern sentimental, if I do say so myself. I have many happy memories there and it was fun to share that with my kids. My overwhelming feeling of my childhood is a feeling of safety, and being in that canyon brought all that back. I hope I am giving that gift to my own children. We're sure trying hard.
Uncle Nick, Beautiful Bella, and Uncle Matt watching as preparations were being made to play Billy Goat's Gruff.
We went to the splash pad, ate at that all important edifice -- Reed's -- and took family pictures, among other things.
We also had a drive-in movie with cars for each of the kids that my creative parents slaved over. They loved it. The cardboard masterpiece cars are also a throw-back to when my brothers and I were kids. We watched 'The Lorax,' and it is funny -- but K.J. thought it was the funniest thing ever. When something strikes his funny bone, he laughs hysterically -- it is a high-pitched he-he-he that is so darn cute. It was cracking everybody up. It just makes whatever you're watching that much funnier. It was cute because my niece Emma thinks that movie is super funny, too, so between the two of them, it was quite a laugh factory.
They liked their cars. A. Lot.
I just thought this picture should be preserved for future generations.
Then there was the pinata -- their faces just crack me up. Katelyn got right down there in the middle and was whacking as aggressively as any of them. They had the best time trying to break that thing open with their light sabers (thank you pinterest -- you have made me a cooler Aunt), but it just didn't want to break open. The Double B trying lifting it and throwing it on the ground. Uncle Matt threw it hard into the air. Nothing. Finally Uncle Nick did a fancy drop-kick that sent candy flying... it was heroic, really. I asked him if it was satisfying. He said yes... he might have broken his foot, but he was over it.
My brothers can be pretty funny sometimes.
My beautiful girls... I just love this picture.

All in all, it was a great weekend. We even slept pretty well in our tent, although thanks to Olivia I have learned that mummy sleeping bags were not made for two people, no matter how tiny one of those people is. We had such a great time.
I am thankful for my family.
I am thankful that my kids have grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins who love them on both sides. Pretty. Darn. Lucky.

Thanks, Mom and Dad, for a great time!

2 comments:

Elise said...

What a fun weekend!

Those box cars look really roomy. I've been driving my husband's car for a few weeks and I have to say it looks like they have more leg room than I do. So cute! Could I maybe pretend to be in your family? :)

Kids sleeping bags said...

Sure looks like everyone had a great time there! Thanks for sharing the fun with us. :)