Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Final Push

Best friends Forever, Papas and Katelyn
This picture is Grandpa filling Kate full of olives as we consumed Thanksgiving leftovers. He'd put it on her finger, she would pop it in. I tried to get a picture of that, but with her jedi reflexes, she was much too fast. He considers things like that his Grandfatherly duty, especially since she will be several states away soon, it is basically a spoiling free for all. And who am I to get in the way of that? Tonight Grandpa sneezed and Katelyn stopped in the middle of her dance to say "Bless you, Papas!" in her sweet, sympathetic voice. Pretty cute. I've been so lucky that my kids have been blessed to have their grandparents so close for so long. But I'm sure there are blessings to distance, too -- the Double B says he never ever took his grandparents visits for granted because they lived far away. Each moment with them was a special occasion. So I'm sure that is how it will be over the next few years as we rock it Midwest style.

Today was our last day of church with the 14th ward (ward is the term used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for a local congregation). I was doing great -- strong as an ox -- until I went and talked to the young women. I was only in there for a minute to let them know I love them and always will, and to have the opportunity to say goodbye face to face. I held it together well, I may have even cracked a joke or two. I made it out the door, took about ten steps, and totally broke down and sobbed. Luckily I made it to the bathroom before the noisy kind set in. In a second lucky break, there was no one in there and I could blubber as moderately loudly as I wanted until I felt like I could go on with life. I headed to Relief Society and then proceeded to cry all through the lesson, which was not in any way a lesson designed for tears. I was crying thinking of my young women (they will always be mine in my heart), and my dear friend Jodi was in my eye line and I was thinking of her and the handful of other "sisters" here who have changed who I am as a person and sniff, sniff, sniff. But oh well. We don't belong here anymore and it is time to move on. I (and we) are thankful to have been a part of such a great ward family and are excited to be a part of a new ward family. It's just nice to have somewhere to belong. The kids got a going away song sung to them in primary, and they both loved that. It made them feel special, and that is awesome -- they ARE special.

Saying goodbye stinks in many, many ways. But honestly, it is just time to do it. It is time to just rip that stupid band aid off. It will be better for everyone involved. Really.
I believe that my family can be happy there. I believe that I can be happy there. It's all in the approach and the attitude of gratitude, I am completely convinced of that. I think it will kind of be nice to have Christmas coming up so fast, because between that and unpacking, we will be busy little beavers long enough to catch on a little. And really -- just to be with the Double B again. I am quite full of anticipation and hallelujah's. And relief(!) that this part of our journey is almost over.

If I were in Disneyland right now, I would totally be in New Orleans Square. Probably slowly eating a Monte Cristo, sitting outside and listening to a jazz band and admiring the twinkling lights and people watching. Yep. That is definitely what I would be doing.
Sometimes I just have those moments. And I always, always know what I would be doing if I were in Disneyland in that moment.
I don't know if that translates to all of you, but to some of you... it will.

Thanksgiving week is as exciting for a Costco bakery manager as you might think. The Double B has worked, worked, and worked, had high levels of stress and almost no sleep for some time now. But Thanksgiving week was as diabolical as anticipated... if not more so. At the least he worked fourteen hour days, at the most it was sixteen and a half hours. He was beat up, that is for sure. But resting and sleeping away Thanksgiving, along with a little Golden Corral side trip, really livened his spirits. He is still working huge hours but things are manageable again. And every morning, I get a text message with the count down of how many days until we are back together again. I don't know which one of us is more excited! I feel so blessed to be yoked to a man so willing to work so hard to provide for us. He is a hard worker, constantly has our best interests in mind, and is a firm but very fun and very tender leader. I love him like crazy. Three cheers for the Double B!

This week will be a little special. Most likely memorable. Last minute packing/cleaning Monday and Tuesday, loading the truck Wednesday (if all goes according to plan -- fingers crossed), and spending a few days at my parents house while our belongings start their journey east. Early Saturday morning, we'll head out with my trusty parents for what is sure to be a most grand adventure.
Lots of love to you, friends.  

5 comments:

On Second Thought said...

I hope you don't mind me reading your blog! I like to hear how you all are doing. What an adventure for your family, I can hardly believe it. Really you are just getting a head start moving back there on the rest of us right? Good luck to you guys, hope all goes well!

Kevin Farnsworth

Marie Says Yes said...

Kevin! How fun to hear from you! Hope you are doing well. Crazy adventure, right? We have been accused a time or two of just going back for the jump start. :)Mostly we're excited to be so close to so much church history. Now you have friends to stay with if you're ever back there! Ben will be so happy you said hi. We have lots of happy memories of our friendship. Thanks for the good luck! Keep in touch!

*rOcKiN rIcHiNs* said...

Marie, I'm sorry I couldn't even look at your face on Sunday. I just can't believe you won't be there next Sunday. I really think you are wonderful. I'm glad I get to stalk you all the way in the Mid West. Keep on bloggin!

Elise said...

SATURDAY?!

I am ridiculously envious of your adventure. You are going to have SUCH FUN, I think.

The Disneyland thing? I get it. If I were there I would be in the EXACT same place, only sipping a Mint Julep instead of eating a Monte Cristo. Shoot, let's have both since I'm dreaming. And throw in a churro and a chocolate covered banana. One day after we've been blog friends for thirty years let's take a Disneyland trip. I see a hilarious Tower of Terror photo in our future.

Have a safe trip. Keep blogging...OR ELSE. : D

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

I am awed by your strong positive attitude and yet allowing yourself to be real and have a breakdown while saying goodbye. Good Luck on your new adventures can't wait to read all about them.