Monday, September 8, 2014

And Surprise! It's Grandma B!!!

The Double B's Mom called me on a Thursday and shocked my socks off by announcing that she and BB's siblings would be flying in to Kansas City the next night to surprise him for his birthday and be there for Benson's blessing! Shocked. Me. I told her he was going to absolutely die of shock and happiness, and he pretty much did! She explained the plane wouldn't be in until late, so I'd need to keep him occupied and unsuspecting until they arrived.
My parents had known about the plan, but I don't know how they kept it a secret, because I just about let the cat out of the bag all day. Knowing I'd need to do his birthday lunch, etc., that day, we went down to the Cheesecake Factory on the Plaza and I told him the Tate's were going to come over for a "Hand and Foot Tournament." I also told him I was really in the mood to play, so we were just going to keep playing and playing and playing into the night! He thought that sounded like a great plan. I knew, of course, he could never suspect anything because it was so far out of his realm of possibility.
We had a fun night with the Tate's, and after they left we just kept playing, and playing, and playing... an hour past when they were supposed to arrive, I got a text from his sister Megan saying they were lost. So I told him it was Bev and she needed some info, I headed downstairs and tried to figure out how to get them here. They'd accidently typed in WEST instead of EAST, so had gone the wrong direction and had to backtrack. I felt bad for them, but it was all worth it when there was a knock on the door.
It was after eleven o'clock at night, and being in a big city, we never get visitors that late and definitely don't open the door if we're not expecting someone. We all looked at each other and I could see the Double B trying to decide what to do. I told him something like maybe Bev forgot something and could see we were still awake because of the lights. So he went down and looked through the peep hole and froze. When he opened the door, his whole body was frozen. You could actually just sense his shock and energy by looking at his back, it was cool.
Their surprise WORKED. It worked big time! I think it took a year off of his life, but it was worth their every effort. He was so happy!
Grandma meeting Benson: 
We were so happy she was getting the chance to meet him -- we thought she wouldn't until we go to Utah for Dad's 90th birthday party in November. So this was so, so awesome! 
Aunt Megan: 
Aunt Sabrina and a sleepy Benson: 
The next day they wanted to see the sights since they were flying out Sunday night, so we had a busy day going to Liberty Jail, Far West, and Adam-Ondi-Ahman. Here are the girls snuggled in a tree down near the valley look out. The kids had so much fun with their aunts and uncle and grandparents! It was fun to drive behind the rental car that had BB and his family. You could tell they were having a great time with the waving arms, etc.. I loved that. 
Things got pretty hilarious playing Phase 10 after dinner at Red Robin. It was awesome! 
They were there for Benson's blessing on Sunday and then flew out that late afternoon. It was a great blessing to have them here. So thankful for their effort to come! It made my husband feel so, so loved and supported. It was awesome. 

No comments: