Sunday, March 6, 2016

Testimony

Liv bore her testimony in Sacrament Meeting today. It is the third time she's done it -- the first time she and Kaje worked up the courage to go together a few months ago. 
She took me by surprise today. I had borne my testimony and Benson anxiously climbed up into my lap as soon as I sat down. Then a minute later she popped up, drew a deep breathe and put her shoulders back, and up she went to the pulpit. Her voice shook a little but she was very composed. I will write what she said as closely as I can remember:
"Good morning, brothers and sisters. I would like to share a thought with you. In the movie 'Once I Was A Beehive,' there are some older girls that don't prepare their tent very well because they don't think it will rain. Then there were some younger Beehives and they prepared their tent really well. Then it rained. And the older girls had nowhere to go, but the younger girls unzipped their tents and let them in. I think this is like us. Hard things will happen in our lives and we might not always be prepared, but we have each other, and Heavenly Father will always unzip his tent and help us get out of the rain. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen." 
All said in a very adult voice. Then she walked calmly back down and snuggled into my side. My jaw may have been hanging open for a minute. At first I didn't know where she was going with it, but boy oh boy had she created a beautiful parallel in her mind! I was so proud of her and to be her Mom. I think most parents that teach their children faith realize they can not force them, they simply teach and offer the feast and it is up to each child (and adult child) if they will partake. But I feel so happy each time my children look to the feast and live. 

No comments: