Monday, June 19, 2017

Dad's 60th Birthday

I keep trying to write this post but my heart just feels so big about it, it's kind of hard to wrap my brain around how to write it! So here goes.
My Dad turned 60 on June 14th. And I've been thinking about this upcoming birthday for oh... about a year and a half. What to do, how to do it, what to give him... I just wanted it to be really special, because we just don't turn 60 every day, you know?
And it turned out AWESOME.
Totally awesome!
My heart is pretty full about the whole thing, to be honest. Treasured memories were made, and we get to keep those forever!
We borrowed my Uncle Craig and Aunt Mary Lou's cabin for the weekend. And sent out invitations to siblings and nieces and nephews on both sides of the family. And danged if we didn't have a totally awesome party!!!
My Mom, brothers and sisters-in-law all pulled together and it was pretty darn cute if I do say so myself. Karen decorated beautifully and we served cake, cookies, fruit, and all of my Dad's favorite candies -- midnight milky way, circus peanuts, candy orange slices, black licorice candies, and sour patch kids. I thought that was so fun (I may have had an unusual amount of enjoyment over the candy, I'll be honest). We also had big tubs full of cans of Diet Pepsi to go with the water and punch. It was just fun thinking of all his favorite treats and and sharing that little piece of him with everyone. The candy was a big hit.
Sooo many people came! Almost every... single... person invited. I had prepared myself to call it a success if five people came, but there were a ton. And they all stayed and enjoyed it, and that made me so happy. You should have seen my Dad. He was a happy camper!
The real coup was when my 'Uncle Dave' (my Dad's best friend) came, all the way from Montana. I'd sent him an invitation with a note saying that I knew he couldn't come but I thought he'd like to see the invitation and know he was loved AND THEN HE CAME. That moment may have just made my Dad's life. They were both so happy! I didn't see him arrive, darn it, but I was sitting by my Dad's three little brothers and got a high five  of celebration from all of them when we realized he was there. Highlight!
The kids thought it was great fun. Everybody was just having an awesome time.
It was great to see all my aunts and uncles, and so many of my cousins. We are lucky to have so many people to love. All of my Dad's full siblings were there so we got some good pictures. It was an open house, so people came and went as needed, but most really did just stay until the very end.
Here's my amazing FC, who so kindly fit the party into a crazy weekend! So happy for any chance to spend time with her and her family.
The winding down scene. My Dad really felt loved. I think he was amazed that so many people came to celebrate him! That was really the dream, that he would just feel a little bit of how special he is to all of us.
 I'm a Daddy's girl. Always have been, always will be. It was such a pleasure to put this party together for him. He is a giant in my life.
I really couldn't feel any luckier to have this amazing Dad. So happy and thankful his 60th birthday party was a success!
Isn't he a cutie?!
You really are loved more then you know, Dad.
Happiest weekend ever!

1 comment:

Ducksoup said...

I can't believe I made your post! Sure love yah! Good work on that party. I'm lame when it comes to planning but you just knocked everyone's socks off in the planning dept. You rock Rieser!