Thursday, October 12, 2017

Stretching

One of my new young women seems to be under the impression that I am a serial killer. I kind of am enjoying having someone be sooo suspicious of me, because suspicion on this level is not something that I encounter that often. I am an actual softy.
I GET that change is hard, and I understand she still needs to get to know me, but the bummer for youth is that they can't yet understand (simply because they don't have enough experience) that the people called to work with them are really just there to SERVE them. And we do that service and offer that friendship and support because we love the Lord. That's it. The end.
She is not a happy person so she finds my happiness off-putting. She also told the Mia Maid advisor that I am trying to force her to be exactly like me (umm...) and told her old leader that I just don't understand her sense of humor and might not have one myself.
😂😂😂😂😂
Oh, teenagers. I may not ever win her over, but I am sure going to try to love her and help her in any way I can.
So far we've talked maybe ten minutes tops and spent about three hours in the same room. Clearly we know each other well. Funny, funny, funny.
I do try to be a happy, cheerful person, and I can see how that might be annoying to other people... but personally I like happy people. They're the ones I gravitate towards. And I do try to build people up and have a positive attitude around them because that's how I feel I live my best life.
But I also don't think I'd put all that much thought into these things when I was 15 years old.
I'll keep praying and working and continue to be myself around her and maybe she'll build up some kind of immunity!
Bless her heart and bless the hearts of every person that voluntarily serves in their church or their community, because we need each other. I think especially the ones who  are standoffish and insist they don't want it --  they are the ones that need our love the most.

1 comment:

Ducksoup said...

oh man, i love YW's but sometimes I feel like I'm going back to middle school trying to fit in and wondering all the time what the girls think of me. it's weird for sure. i just love you though and have no doubt she'll see how awesome you are. your last thoughts were amazing especially.