Monday, October 9, 2017

Teen Angel

Sorry. I've really struggled to be a consistent blogger lately. I have several half finished posts waiting to be finished. I think I'm going to try to make more  frequent short posts and try to stay more current rather then frustrated and paralyzed by the fact that I'm behind.
This post is about Teenager KJ.
Saturday he had the opportunity to audition for the district Honor Orchestra. It was cool to see all the kids there with the same passion he has. It was exciting to see him walking back with his viola. Make it or not make it doesn't matter at all, what matters is he tried! Even though it was scary and he doubted if he could do it; he did it and he was awesome. We're proud parents.
Grandma and Grandpa came down for the day with Addie and Leighna, so he had quite the cheering squad.
Teenager KJ has also spent the last three days doing pretty much nothing but make-up work for his online health class, which his mother has asked about every day all semester and he always said he was totally doing every assignment, until Mother got an email saying that Teenager KJ was failing said class and had three days to make up the work. Hostility! Hostility everywhere! Dad lectured, Mom burned, KJ felt sorry for himself. Mom does not feel sorry for Teenager KJ. Not at all! Not even a little bit. As we have lovingly informed him, you dug yourself into this hole, only you can dig yourself out. In the words of Zen, my son, "Dig a hole, fill it up."
Parenting a teenager is so wild. As I talked to my parents about our frustration and bafflement, my Dad had a nice little chuckle. "You're just beginning!" So true, Dad. Sniff.
We did parent Mariah, so that's gotta count for something. She had the hard task of being our guinea pig! KJ owes her. 
Look at the support system this guy had for his audition. And this isn't even a fraction of the people that love him! He is a lucky guy.
And we are so lucky to have him. Please note that he's on his way to becoming an actual giant.
He is a GREAT kid. And I get it. I was a teenager not that long ago! It's just one thing to understand the concept of teenagers and hormones and everything else, and another thing for it to happen to your baby. 
Dear Grown-Up KJ,
Hope you don't mind that I wrote this journey down. If I didn't write it, you'd never remember it! I think you are silly, delightful, and you are the morning sun in my life.
I love you big time.
Your friend,
Mom.

Benson fell asleep while Grandma pushed him in the cart at Hobby Lobby. She must really be a talented driver! It was SO CUTE.
He seriously did not move a muscle, wipe clutched in his hand. He also insisted on taking a Book of Mormon in with him, so he's a sleeping missionary here. I noticed several older gentleman in the store looking at him with envy. It was a pretty sweet arrangement!
See? I can't write short posts. That's part of the problem. I have the gift of gab.

1 comment:

Ducksoup said...

did KJ make it? and that pic of benson is so awesome!