Thursday, May 23, 2019

Very Quick Trip

Guys, it's been a really long couple of days. I feel like I should be writing out "There and Back Again: A Hobbits Tale, by Bilbo Baggins" while telling Frodo that I'm tired in my bones. But I'll refrain. Plus, I'm just regular tired, not bone tired. Also, not a hobbit. 
Moving on. 
We drove a lot in pouring rain yesterday and today, and had a very heart palpitating moment while hydroplaning last night. Yikes. Glad to report we survived, though, so no need to worry! 
Here's Benson being the cutest person alive at breakfast yesterday: 
 I was sad to miss the last day of school with my kids today but Daddy made it fun for them. And as promised, I made it home just in time to go to Sonic after 8 and drive around looking for a dumpster fire while eating ice cream, per tradition. No fire this year. But still worth the looking.
I encountered this amazing thought yesterday and thought it was really something. You need to see it:
Let's ponder that together, class. 

We got to SLC really late last night and I basically went right to sleep. Didn't think of the blog once, for which I apologize. But you made it through, anyway! I'm proud of you.
Headed out early this morning to the viewing for my Uncle Jim and got this glorious picture of my Dad. His walking sticks look just like ski poles and he is always doing these hilarious poses with them to make us laugh. The slant on the driveway today was especially beneficial for the skiing motif.
The best part was, a car pulled up to the stop sign just as he was doing this and stopped and stared at him in bewilderment. But he stuck with it and was silly, anyway. His commitment to a good ski picture was total. We just laughed our tails off after they drove away!
I love a person unafraid to be silly and laugh at life above all else. Good job, Father. I come from very fine and very silly stock. I sincerely loved this moment.

The funeral for Uncle Jim was so great. One of my favorite funerals ever, if that's a thing. My cousin Mike spoke and said about his Dad "What was important to us, he liked." I wrote that down because I felt that was such an amazing reflection of how I want my kids to feel. That if something is important to them, I'm not just interested in it, but I'm a fan with them. Mike also said that his Dad would encourage us to "enjoy life, be sentimental, pursue your passions, and just be who you are." I liked that good advice.
It was very sweet and I felt thankful for life and especially for my family. 

Dad's secret talent: 
Personal highlight of the day: seeing my gorgeous, talented, and oh so kind FC. We don't get to see each other enough. Also, during the funeral, her little guy E gave me a rice krispy treat, got one for himself, and felt like we should eat them together right then. So we did. Was my heart melted? Yes. Did I feel very touched, indeed? Yes. Was it the best rice krispy treat ever? Yes again. 
 My parents and Aunt Mary Lou braving the elements. Guys, it was really cold. And this is really cute.
It was a very nice celebration of life and I'm so glad to be home for just one hot minute. 
I love you. Goodnight. 

No comments: